Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Garden helper

Sarah loves to play in the dirt. Today the kids were trying to dig up worms and when they stopped, Sarah was eager to try too. Now we have a jar of worms on the kitchen table for a baby bird that fell from its nest. We tried to put it back but it just fell again so we brought it inside and put it in our our new chickens. We haven't been able to feed the baby bird though.  One fell yesterday too and I told the kids to leave it alone and they did and it just died. So when it happened again, they wanted to help this one. I don't think we can but we have tried.
Update: We were not able to feed the baby bird but the next day we set it outside on the porch in a little box and its parents took care of it. By the end of Wed, two more baby birds had fallen from the nest for a total of 3 birds in the box. Wednesday and Thursday I brought the three baby birds in at night and put them outside each morning on the porch. The baby birds were strong and doing well. On Friday it was almost 11 PM before I went out to get the baby birds and their box was empty. Some thing had gotten them as they rested  on our front porch in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment